Commitment to providing high quality cytogenetic services
- Outstanding relationships and interaction with referring clinicians (obstetricians, neonatologists, oncologists, pathologists, etc., as well as with other health care professionals).
- Provides educational and scientific materials to referring clinicians as needed on unusual cases for the purpose of aiding counseling and education.
- Participate in Children's Oncology Group (COG) and Cancer of Leukemia Group B (CALGB).
- Certified as reference laboratory by COG and CALGB.
- Offers two-year ACGME accredited Laboratory Genetics & Genomics Fellowship.
- Accredited by the College of American Pathologists (CAP)
- Certified under the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988
- Participate in the CAP Cytogenetics Proficiency Testing (PT) Program
- Director of the laboratory is board certified in Clinical Pathology and Molecular Genetic Pathology by the American Board of Pathology
- Assistant Directors are board certified in Clinical Molecular Genetics and Clinical Cytogenetics by the American Board of Medical Genetics and Genomics (ABMGG)
Technical Staff Members
- Technologists are well versed in the field of molecular cytogenetics and experienced in laboratory methodology; technologists are certified as Clinical Laboratory Specialists in Cytogenetics, CG (ASCP)
- Technologists receive continuing education from attending national and regional meetings, national teleconferences, university seminars and in house conferences.
Benjamin Darbro, MD, PhD
Director, Shivanand R. Patil Cytogenetics and Molecular Laboratory